Request stapled super fund details for employees Aug 16, 2021
From 1 November 2021, if you have new employees start you may have an extra step to take to comply with choice of fund rules if they don’t choose a super fund. You may now need to request their ‘stapled super fund’ details from The Australian Taxation Office (ATO).
A stapled super fund is an existing super account which is linked, or ‘stapled’, to an individual employee so that it follows them as they change jobs.
With these changes, if you don’t meet your choice of super fund obligations, additional penalties may apply.
The change aims to reduce account fees by stopping new super accounts from being opened every time an employee starts a new job.
To make sure you’re ready to request stapled super fund details, check and update the access levels of your authorised representatives in ATO online services. This will also protect your employees’ personal information.
Before you make a request
Before you can request details of an employee’s stapled super fund, you must have lodged either a:
- Single Touch Payroll event
- Tax file number (TFN) declaration
How to make a request
To make a request from 1 November 2021 you, or your authorised representative, need to:
- Log into ATO online services.
- Enter your employee’s details, including their:
- TFN – an exemption code can be entered where an employee cannot provide their TFN, but this could result in processing delays
- full name – including ‘other given name’ if known
- date of birth
- address (residential or postal), if TFN not given.
- Receive the response on-screen in online services. The ATO will notify your employee of the stapled super fund request and the fund details they have provided.
A bulk request form will be available if you need to request stapled super fund details for over 100 new employees at once.
For more information please email the Intrust Super team at: email@example.com